Selective neurolysis is a cutting-edge operation for partial facial paralysis or synkinesis patients. It is used to help patients who cannot generate an appropriate smile.
What are the Benefits of Selective Neurolysis?
Selective neurolysis can help patients with partial facial paralysis or synkinesis by:
- Improving facial symmetry.
- Enhancing facial movement coordination.
- Reducing functional tightness.
- Restoring a dynamic smile.
How is Selective Neurolysis Performed?
Selective neurolysis involves:
- Mapping out facial nerves with intraoperative electromyography (EMG)
- Release of platysma muscle that pulls the corner of the mouth down and prevents an upward smile motion.
- Reduction of nerve activity that pulls the mouth downward to ensure the corners of the mouth can turn upward.
- Rerouting of the buccal branch to the zygomatic branch or muscle to improve the signal to the smile muscles.
What to Expect From Selective Neurolysis?
- Life Changing Results
- Spontaneous Facial Reanimation
- Customized Surgical Plan
- Ground-breaking Surgical Techniques
Selective Neurolysis Consultation
Dr. Babak Azizzadeh is a world-renowned facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, with a special focus in facial nerve disorders and treatments. As such, he pioneered the selective neurolysis procedure to provide facial paralysis and synkinesis patients with life changing smile reanimation results.
During a selective neurolysis consultation, Dr. Azizzadeh will discuss all treatment options with the patient. He will determine whether a patient is an appropriate candidate for selective neurolysis and create a customized treatment plan. Selective neurolysis can be combined with facial rejuvenation procedures if requested.
Request your consultation with Dr. Azizzadeh today
Call us at (310) 657-2203 to schedule an appointment.Schedule a Consultation